Orally disintegrating granules (ODGs)
ODGs are fine granules or powders that are packaged into small sachets called 'stick packs'. They are poured directly into the mouth and swallowed without water, making them convenient for taking 'on the go'. By rapidly dissolving in the mouth, ODGs can provide fast onset of action, an important feature for painkillers, for example.
Like all user-friendly dosage forms, ODGs:
- Are easy to swallow, even for those who experience difficulties swallowing conventional tablets and capsules
- Reduce the risk of drug-induced esophagitis, which occurs when a tablet is caught in the esophagus and dissolves while remaining in contact with the sensitive esophagus lining
- Taste pleasant and come in a range of flavors
- Are easy and convenient to take
- Are supplied as a single dose so no measuring is required
- Improve compliance
Dosage forms that do not require water are:
- Easy to take 'on the go'
- Convenient to take, anywhere and at any time
- Ideal for those needing to reduce their daily liquid intake (e.g. dialysis patients)
In addition, ODGs offer:
- Excellent bioavailability as ODGs are dissolved/dispersed while swallowing
- The option of immediate API release (for fast-acting painkillers, for example) or slow release (extended-release formulations) - depending on the needs and indication
- Suitability for turning poorly soluble APIs into a user-friendly dosage form
- High protection of the contents: Packaged in safe and handy “stick packs” made from an aluminum-paper laminate or PET-aluminum-PE laminate that protects even photosensitive APIs against light
- Optional tear notch for easy opening
- Combinations of APIs can be formulated in one 'stick pack'
HERMES PHARMA uses hot melt coating (HMC) technology to turn even poor tasting APIs into pleasant and easy-to-swallow ODGs. If required, HMC can also be used to modify the release profile of the final product. Originally developed for food manufacturing, HMC offers a faster, more economical coating method than many traditional approaches.
We use high-speed equipment to fill our 'stick packs' and package inline to avoid segregation of the blend. We can even package sensitive APIs - such as omega-3 fatty acids - under inert gas to improve the shelf-life of final products.
Depending on the individual contents, we register our medicinal product ODGs as oral powders or granules. Many of our ODG's are manufactured and sold as food supplements according to current food regulations.
|Making Bone Health Supplements Palatable (Nutraceutical Business Review and Manufacturing Chemist)
|From Bitter to Sweet: Developing a User-Friendly Painkiller (Pharmaceutical Technology)
|Hot Melt Coating (A method for creating user-friendly extended release formulations, tablets & capsules)
|A User-Centric Approach to Pharmaceuticals (Doses)
|How Advances in Pharmaceutical Packaging are Better Meeting Patients' Needs (Drug Development & Delivery)
HERMES PHARMA product portfolio
HERMES PHARMA offers practical customized solutions at every point along the pharmaceutical value chain. To see which products we currently have available for you to in-license, download our Product & Development Portfolio. (Please note, download requires registration of contact details.)
If you are looking for other APIs, nutrients, or indications, or if you are interested in fully customized products, please contact us.